How can you prevent cervical cancer?
How to protect yourself from cervical cancer
- Get an HPV vaccine. Human Papilloma Virus, HPV, is the main cause of cervical cancer. …
- Get regular pap tests. Regular pap tests help your doctor find and treat any changing cells prior to turning into cancer. …
- Be monogamous. …
- Use condoms.
How do I keep my cervix healthy?
Ways to Keep your Cervix Healthy
- Get Tested. Many women don’t realize how important having a regular Pap smear can be in preventing cervical cancer. …
- Be Proactive. Occasionally Pap smears can come back abnormal but many women fail to follow-up on results or proceed with treatment. …
- Practice Safe Sex. …
- Get Vaccinated.
What is the main cause of cervical cancer?
All women are at risk for cervical cancer. It occurs most often in women over age 30. Long-lasting infection with certain types of human papillomavirus (HPV) is the main cause of cervical cancer. HPV is a common virus that is passed from one person to another during sex.
Do condoms give you cancer?
A German scientific research institute has warned that most condoms on the market contain a cancer-causing chemical and has urged that their manufacture be subjected to stringent quality control. Sobering news for rubber contraceptive users.
What food is good for cervix?
5 foods for a healthy cervix
- Winter squash. Squash is abundant in beta-carotene, an antioxidant that becomes vitamin A in the body; it makes the immune system strong and may lower the risk of cancer. …
- Pink grapefruit. The key compound for cervical health here is lycopene. …
- Broccoli. …
- Bell peppers. …
What vitamins are good for the cervix?
Folate (vitamin B9) and vitamin B12 both play a crucial role in supporting cervical health. Studies show that folate and Vitamin B12 may help support healthy cervical cells due to their role in DNA repair and synthesis. Include leafy greens, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and peanuts for a healthy dose of folate.
What is a unhealthy cervix?
Cervicitis is an inflammation of the cervix, the lower, narrow end of the uterus that opens into the vagina. Possible symptoms of cervicitis include bleeding between menstrual periods, pain with intercourse or during a pelvic exam, and abnormal vaginal discharge.
What are early warning signs of cervical cancer?
Early Warning Signs of Cervical Cancer
- Vaginal bleeding (either after intercourse, between periods or post-menopause)
- Abnormal vaginal discharge (heavy or with a foul odor)
- Pain during intercourse.
- Pelvic pain.
- Lower back pain.
- Pain and swelling in legs.
- Unexplained weight loss.
- Decreased appetite.
What age does cervical cancer affect?
Cervical cancer is most frequently diagnosed in women between the ages of 35 and 44 with the average age at diagnosis being 50 . It rarely develops in women younger than 20. Many older women do not realize that the risk of developing cervical cancer is still present as they age.